030717 Matthew Powell
For those of you that don’t know, Matt Powell founded and built CFM, and hired me in 2014. He’s why CFM is here today, and also why I’m here. Matt and family have since moved to State College, PA, and we remain in contact and I’m glad to call him my friend. Here’s an Athlete Spotlight on an OG:
- Name/ nickname: Powell
- Hometown: Chicago
- Age: 45 … no 44 .. can’t remember.
- Occupation: Retired Exotic Dancer. Stage name – White Chocolate.
- What’s your favorite movement (s) and/ or WOD(s)? Favorite WOD is BearShark and Love me some OHS.
- What’s your LEAST favorite movement (s) and/ or WOD(s)? I hate Karen and dislike 1 legged squats.
- How would you describe your diet? Zone/Paleo
- What sort of changes have you seen in your body, health and fitness since starting CrossFit? Lost body weight and got a lot stronger while still being able to run a 5k in 19 minutes.
- Describe your biggest milestone, achievement, or “A-ha” moment? My A-ha moment came in 2009. I was suffering and nearing the end of “Fran” and realized…. I can always suffer a little more!
- What are your hobbies, interests and/or talents outside of CrossFit? Private pilot – I love flying planes and I am currently working on my instrument rating.
- Please share with us any favorite CrossFit / CFM moments: Favorite moment was the post 4th of July fireworks impromptu dance party that took place at CFM with the CFM families !
- What encouragement or advice would you give to to people just getting started? Take your time – respect effort and form, not the weight !
- Fitness goals for this year? Mid-Atlantic Masters Qualifiers 2018 CF Games.
- Favorite cheat meal? Brownies !!
- Favorite quote? (CrossFit Founder- Greg Glassman) “Optimal physical competency is a compromise, a balancing act; a compromise between not only conflicting but perfectly antagonistic skills. The manner in which you resolve this conflict defines the quality of your fitness and is the art of exercise prescription”
WARM UP: 75 plate GTO
Skin the cats/ banded trunk mobility- 2 mins
OYO- 3 mins
Even- 3 tempo pull ups @x231
Odd- 3-5 heavy power cleans (start heavy and maintain or build across)
5 box jumps 30/ 24″
10 kb clean 24/ 16kg
ACCESSORY: 3 rds-
10 paralette heel touches
15 sit ups
20 toe touches
2017 03 06